Syed Abid Ali Abid (Urdu: سید عابد علی عابد), M.A., L.L.B. , Urdu and Persian critic, poet, former principal Dyal Singh College, Lahore, Pakistan was born on 17 September 1906 at Dera Ismail Khan, British India and died in Lahore, Pakistan on 20 January 1971.
He was well known for his literary criticism and had hundreds of students, many of them now themselves poets and writers. He wrote many books on literary criticism in Urdu and Persian. He also initiated and edited several literary journals, one of which is Sahifa-Lahore. He also was one of the initial drama writers and feature writers at the newly established Radio Pakistan Lahore in the late 1940s and 1950s. He was one of the story and dialogue writers of the first sound film (talking film) of the Punjab Heer Ranjha (1931). He survived 3 heart attacks but succumbed to the 4th.
He has authored many books. Some of his authored books are mentioned below:
• Talismaat (The Magic) , Urdu fiction, Hashmi Book Depot Lahore, Pakistan
• Shahbaz Khan, Urdu fiction, ISBN 969-35-0721-5 , Sang-e-Meel Publications, Pakistan
• Main Kabhi Ghazal na Kahta, Urdu poetry , ISBN 969-35-0181-0, Sang-e-Meel Publications, Pakistan
• Usool-E-Intequade-Adabiyat (Rules of Literary Criticism)
• Shar-i-Iqbal , (A criticism of Iqbal's Poetry), ISBN 969-35-1436-X / 969351436X , Sang-e-Meel Publications, Pakistan
• Political Theory of the Shi'ties , Part of the history of Muslim philosophy.
• Asloob, an Urdu book on literary criticism
• Albayan, an Urdu book on literary criticism
• Al Badeeh (Mohsinaat e Shairi Ka Intaqadi Jaiza): (Criticism of the Characteristics of Urdu poetry)